Learn What’s New at the YMCA
Our current hours are Monday-Friday 6 am-7 pm and 8 am-Noon on Saturday. We are closed Sunday.
Christmas Eve: 6 am-1:30 pm
Christmas Day: Closed
New Year’s Eve: 6 am-1:30 pm
New Year’s Day: 10 am-2 pm
Click here to see the Wellness Center, Pool and Group Exercise Class Schedule.
HEALTH SCREENING WILL BE REQUIRED FOR FACILITY ACCESS
We are using Y ROC Health Scan, developed with partners at URMC. This platform will be used to help grant you access into our open facilities. You can learn more about how to register for Y ROC Health Scan here. If you do not have access to complete the health screening, you will be asked to complete one in person upon arrival.
Any individual who displays any symptom of an illness will not be allowed to enter the building.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE COMING
The YMCA prioritizes the health and well-being of our members, staff and the communities we serve, taking into account CDC guidelines and the guidelines and recommendations of state and local government authorities. We are also closely following the Interim Guidance for Gyms & Fitness Centers during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency issued by the Governor on August 17, 2020. Below are major highlights of our reopening:
- Mask Policy: Members and staff are required to wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose at all times. Gaiters, bandanas and buffs are not acceptable face coverings. If someone has a medical condition that prohibits them from wearing a mask they must wear a face shield.
- Guest Passes will not be permitted.
- All saunas will remain closed until further notice.
- Child Watch is by appointment only.
- The YMCA will implement social or physical distancing practices in all operations by controlling capacity to 33% in all facilities, reconfiguring traffic patterns, re-arranging physical areas and fitness equipment, and placing trained staff in various locations to monitor and enforce all social distancing protocol and policies.
- All non-bottle water filling drinking fountains will be out of use.
- All HVAC systems will be upgraded to have air filtration systems with a minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) of MERV-13, or highest rating available compatible with their system, but no less than a MERV-11 rating.
- All equipment, locker rooms and restrooms will be cleaned with COVID-19 approved cleaners every two hours.
- Members will be asked to use provided cleaning supplies to clean equipment before and after each use.
- Members will scan in and digital attendance will be kept for at least 28 days.
- All members must complete their Y ROC Health Scan, an online daily health screen, prior to entering all facilities. To obtain access, employees and members will be asked to show completion of their Y ROC Health Scan for the day. Y ROC Health Scan will ask participants to report if you are experiencing any symptoms related to COVID. Once Y staff sees the green check, members will then self-scan to enter (staff will not handle cards, phone or other personal belongings).
WHILE IN THE FACILITY
Throughout the duration of your visit you must wear a mask.
When you first enter the facility, you will notice things look different. All areas have been redesigned for social distancing. Markers on the floor and signs throughout the building are in place to make maintaining social distancing simple. Please take a moment to read, and abide by, the new signage and guide markers as you come across them.
You will also notice an increased amount of hand sanitizer and cleaning stations throughout the building to make hand hygiene and equipment maintenance more convenient. Members will be asked to clean equipment before and after each use and utilize hand sanitizer as needed.
We have outlined a handful of simple guidelines that all members can incorporate into their time at the Y. Please take a moment to read them below.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Our reopening can and will be successful with members and Y staff working together. In fact, we have created a new Community Conscious Member Pledge. In it, we are asking all members to behave in a responsible way by adhering to the following:
- If you are sick, stay home. If you have a temperature, stay home. If someone in your house is sick, stay home. If you have allergies and can’t control sneezing, stay home.
- Pre-plan your workout routine to avoid lingering/socializing to allow other members to workout, due to reduced occupancy/distancing.
- Limit the items you touch within the gyms to only the items you will use.
- You are required to wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose at all times. You understand that gaiters, bandanas and buffs are not acceptable face coverings. If you have a medical condition that prohibits you from wearing a mask you must wear a face shield.
- Wipe down each piece of equipment you use before and after use and dispose of the wipe appropriately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you leave the building. If not possible, use hand sanitizer when you enter and before you leave the building.
- Remember social distancing requirements in locker rooms.
- Use online and outdoor workout services where you can.
- Maintain appropriate social and physical distance from other members and employees when walking throughout the gyms to the best extent possible.
- Limit visit to 90 minutes and abide by current program schedules to allow fellow members to enjoy our facility.
- Speak in a respectful tone while discussing social distancing or other concerns.
If members are not compliant with the new policies and protocols, they will be asked to leave the facility.
YOUR FAVORITE PROGRAMS AND AREAS
To comply with social distancing and recommendations from national, state and local health leaders, the spaces in which you exercise have changed. We worked very hard to make these changes with your safety and experience in mind:
WELLNESS CENTERS, GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES AND GYMNASIUMS
- Cardio and Strength Training Areas are open with advance registration.
- Limited Group Exercise Classes will be offered with distancing requirements maintained with no person-to-person physical contact. Schedules will be limited, and registration is required and will be available the 48 hours before the class is offered.
- Basketball courts and other areas where sports with physical contact occurs will be used for group exercise and open gym programming only. Pick up games during open gym times are not allowed.
- Pickleball is only available by registration. There is a maximum of four players and one court per hour session.
- Our track is available by appointment only. Members must register ahead of time for their one-hour block of time. The track will be open from 6 am-6:45 pm, and closed for a cleaning break from 1:15-2:45 pm.
- Traditional circuit training prohibited (individuals may only use one piece of equipment at a time).
- Personal Training will be reset for social distancing.
- Anyone with pre-purchased Personal Training sessions should work directly with the Health and Wellness Director to reschedule.
CHILD CARE AREAS AND PROGRAMMING
- Child Watch will be limited to 75 minutes and registrations will be required. Temperatures of all children will be taken.
- Parents will not be allowed in child care areas.
- Youth Sports and outreach and community programs will be suspended until further notice.
POOLS AND OTHER AQUATIC SPACES
- All activities in facilities are limited to 33% capacity, including all water aerobics.
- Aquatic exercise and lap swim classes require advanced registration.
- Members must take a warm, soapy shower before entering pool area.
- We will not allow observers on the pool deck.
- Sauna will be closed.
CLEANING PROCEDURES AND COVID-19 TRANSMISSION PREVENTION
The Canandaigua Family YMCA is committed to maintaining a clean and safe environment utilizing products that meet EPA’s criteria. We have increased our already rigorous cleaning practices to include:
- Each facility will be entirely cleaned and disinfected prior to opening and after closing each day.
- All staff will be trained in regards to how they can reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- All equipment will be cleaned throughout the day and before opening and after closing.
- This is in addition to members cleaning equipment before and after use, and Group Exercise instructors cleaning equipment.
- Enhanced cleaning protocol will focus on high-traffic, high-touch common areas.
- Water systems will be flushed before opening.
- We will increase ventilation rates and increase the percentage of clean outdoor air that circulates.
- Acrylic barriers have been installed at Welcome Centers and check in areas to provide extra protection for staff and members.
- Equipment will be spaced to maintain appropriate social distance.
- Spacing markers have been placed on the floors to enable social and physical distancing.
- Signage installed and staff monitoring areas to enforce social distancing practices.
Specifications of cleaning product names and details are available upon request.
EXPOSURE TO COVID-19
CDC guidelines for handling exposure and mitigating risk if exposure occurs in a YMCA facility will be strictly followed. If a staff or member who has been in the YMCA reports they are a COVID carrier, the Y will:
- Maintain the confidentiality of the individual while coordinating with proper health authorities to report the potential exposure.
- Notify members and staff of the individual’s branch who may have come in contact with this individual
- Deep clean the branch per CDC guidelines.
- Quarantine all employees who came in close and unmasked contact with the individual as recommended by the CDC.
If staff have been in contact with someone that has been diagnosed, they will notify their supervisor and follow CDC recommended precautions.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU
If you have any questions, please Contact Us.
We are continuing to evaluate our practices and will make necessary changes to ensure safety for everyone. We look forward to learning and growing with you as we navigate this new world. We hope to see you at the Y soon.